Reason updates (11.3.7 / 11.3.8) and Reason+

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.

Will you try or subscribe to Reason+?

No, I won’t even try it
74%
I will try it, but the subscription is not for me
10%
I will try it and consider subscribing
8%
I will likely subscribe monthly
2%
I will likely subscribe annually
6%

Total votes: 497
guitfnky

27 Jan 2021

EnochLight wrote:
27 Jan 2021
DougalDarkly wrote:
27 Jan 2021

This is starting to get annoying now - you cannot be naive enough to believe what you just wrote?

If I subscribe to Reason+, why would I buy a third-party RE?

Why would I buy an instrument/tool that stops working when the sub runs out?

Your existing argument seems to be that I should buy a regular Reason licence, and third-party REs IN ADDITION to the sub?
Not sure how my statement is difficult to understand - there are a plethora of 3rd party RE's that offer things NONE of the RS RE's offer. My point was to assure Buddard that his RE's will still have value - to both R+ subscribers and traditional "forever" license subscribers. My argument is that RE devs have both traditional forever license customers to sell to AS WELL AS R+ subscribers.
I think you might be missing their point...if you’re a user without a permanent license (meaning you’ve only ever had the subscription), it makes a lot less sense to spend $ on a third party RE, because if you let your subscription lapse, you don’t get to keep using it like you would if you have a perpetual license.

and if you’re in the boat where a subscription makes sense, you’re more likely also already of the mindset that you may use Reason sporadically.
I write music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

aftrshok99

27 Jan 2021

EnochLight wrote:
27 Jan 2021

Not sure how my statement is difficult to understand - there are a plethora of 3rd party RE's that offer things NONE of the RS RE's offer. My point was to assure Buddard that his RE's will still have value - to both R+ subscribers and traditional "forever" license subscribers. My argument is that RE devs have both traditional forever license customers to sell to AS WELL AS R+ subscribers.
Bingo, you nailed it!!! :cool:
Reason+ / Bitwig Studio 4 / NI Maschine MK3 / Novation Launchpad Mini MK3 / NI M32

Social Exodus

27 Jan 2021

I already own through Reason Suite and RE purchases everything they are offering in Reason+, except for Friktion which I could buy for $99.

Not really seeing a benefit myself.
:reason: 11 Suite/12 Perpetual License :re: Too many to count :refill: A few choice items

Nektar Panorama P4
Korg padKontrol

WOO

27 Jan 2021

Reason is a subscription service and they stopped selling the suite. Goodbye reason. Hello studio one for the time being. 2021 is starting to look a lot like 2020.

challism

27 Jan 2021

For those who think they missed out on buying R11 Suite... here you go... still available at other retail shops. https://www.jrrshop.com/catalogsearch/r ... e&dir=desc
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

diminished
Competition Winner

27 Jan 2021

EnochLight wrote:
27 Jan 2021
Ignition Key hasn't shipped with Reason for years, and is no longer (officially) supported. ..so...
they were still being sold like a month or two ago, though
:reason: Most recent track: resentment (synthwave) || Others: on my YouTube channel •ᴗ•

ScuzzyEye

27 Jan 2021

MaMue wrote:
27 Jan 2021
@ Reasonstudios

Please make it clear to us what it will be look like in the future - two options that are unclear for most of the users and make them scared that they loose their baby :

a) Is the subscription EXTRA, NEXT TO the regular owning modell?

OR

b) Does the subscription REPLACES the old possibility, to buy and own reason offline on your computer forever, without beeing subscribed?
The one thing they've been perfectly clear about, the answer is A. What you owe you own, and you will for the foreseeable future be able to continue to buy Reason upgrades, and individual Rack Extensions.

earwig83

27 Jan 2021

DougalDarkly wrote:
27 Jan 2021
earwig83 wrote:
27 Jan 2021
Hiding the shop is definitely mean-spirited.
I don't think they intend to be mean here - it's just that the shop has no relevance to a new user - and this whole thing is for new users, not the old ones.

I think they looked at their existing customer base and decided they're just not getting enough money out of us - either in RE purchases, or in updates.

This is their way of ensuring that updates and new third-party RE are taken completely out of the equation - the part of the equation that's been dragging them down since the VCs came in...
A fair point. But if that was the case, they should have made a reasonstudios.com/reasonplus landing page. This is def a slap in the face to 3rd party devs who may depend on the visibility to make some sales. Simply keeping it in the header as a link would have been enough of a good faith decision.

This is gross Apple-like behaviour, as far as I am concerned. The whole "mama knows best" sort of dictatorship. But I exaggerate a bit.

Chi-Individual

27 Jan 2021

challism wrote:
27 Jan 2021
For those who think they missed out on buying R11 Suite... here you go... still available at other retail shops. https://www.jrrshop.com/catalogsearch/r ... e&dir=desc
^^^^
keep this link available for those that need it so it doesn't get lost in the thread.

Billy+

27 Jan 2021

Social Exodus wrote:
27 Jan 2021
I already own through Reason Suite and RE purchases everything they are offering in Reason+, except for Friktion which I could buy for $99.

Not really seeing a benefit myself.
I too have 11 suite but I also brought Friktion, so I get mutator which I don't want and you get mutator and Friktion but we both have to pay £20 a month and if we cancel you loose two devices I loose one.

Does that help :thumbup:

esselfortium

27 Jan 2021

WOO wrote:
27 Jan 2021
Reason is a subscription service and they stopped selling the suite. Goodbye reason. Hello studio one for the time being. 2021 is starting to look a lot like 2020.
Studio One also has a subscription service...
Sarah Mancuso
My music: Future Human

Loque

27 Jan 2021

esselfortium wrote:
27 Jan 2021
WOO wrote:
27 Jan 2021
Studio One also has a subscription service...
Oh snap 😂
Reason12, Win10

diminished
Competition Winner

27 Jan 2021

As of right now, 77% of the users in this forum won't even consider going the subscription route. How could their market research possibly miss that? I doubt it will be significantly different outside of this little cesspit, as the youtube like/dislike ratio suggests.

Edit: I mean... only 4% are actually looking forward to it. Jeez. :?
rplussub.JPG
rplussub.JPG (39.19 KiB) Viewed 20862 times
Last edited by diminished on 27 Jan 2021, edited 1 time in total.
:reason: Most recent track: resentment (synthwave) || Others: on my YouTube channel •ᴗ•

earwig83

27 Jan 2021

aeox wrote:
27 Jan 2021
earwig83 wrote:
27 Jan 2021

I feel like I have some support from other people when I read these kind of comments. The other, "glass half full" types scare me. This is not at all want loyal multi-decade users asked for. Hopefully the positive people are right that by bringing in more newcomers, they can legitimize updates to the DAW itself.

Because right now, I agree that the marketing angle they took here stinks bad. Hiding the shop is definitely mean-spirited.
I think the reason I'm optimistic is because I love the software as it is so much, that it would take something very drastic to change my "overall" feelings for the software. Remember, the glass is only half full, not full :D
Hey ya. If they keep their promise on keeping the perpetual license upgrades available from version to version moving forward, than I am also excited. But this isn't the first lie or move they made against our interests as loyal customers and I find they generally react very snooty to legit criticism. Just like apple does. And I loathe apple as a company and detest their design paradigms/choices as they are all self serving. Touch bar anyone?

As for Reason Studios it's the attitude they have and perceivable contempt for long time users, people who have spent 5000+ over time on them. I won't even contact support when having a problem any more because they have been so arrogant and caustic in their replies. It really rubbed me the wrong way. It sucks when you love something but not so much the opinions of the people who make it. Kind of like a big mac. I love one here and there but dislike McD's practices. hahahah anyways, I'll try and stay hopeful.

In the meantime, I'll be waiting for the next unpaid PR rep from this forum to try and invalidate my just cause for concern. :)

sprinkles__

27 Jan 2021

I give them about a year, this will kill off what's left of the old company. Then the VC vultures can dismember the corpse and sell off the IP. Glad i have an ignition key. £20 a month? Fuck off. They'll regret this.

Skimrok

27 Jan 2021

craste wrote:
27 Jan 2021
So after reading all through this, in my head I see it as:

Positives.

1. If you already own Reason and you wish to just upgrade to the latest version like you've always done, then you can - Happy Days!

2. If you'd like to try the Reason + you can do, and at the end of the trial you can continue, or go back to what you had immediately before signing up to Reason+. Happy Days! (plus keep all the sound packs you've downloaded.)

3. The new website looks great, have you clicked and listened to all the instruments in action - they sound great and if you was really new to music production it would be like Christmas everyday if you signed up to Reason+! If I was starting out today I would defo give it a shot! Happy Days!

4. We know the Core Reason DAW is being worked on and an update is due soon. Happy Days!

5. Today Reason Studios know that if they went full 'subscription only' they would lose many existing customers. So you'd like to assume they would never implement this. Happy Days!

Negatives.

1. Existing Reason DAW users feel like they are 'at the back of the queue' yet again when it comes to new features.

2. Its a missed opportunity - get the main DAW up to a little bit closer to other DAW's in terms of functionality and it would make such a massive difference to the users and the amount of people using it! Reason wipes the floor with every other daw when it comes to looks, ease of use and how it can inspire you to make music and have fun! It feels like the main decision makers there need their heads banging together and shown this.

You could so easily be the number 1, but you've put too much effort into things which don't matter half as much.

Its like a high end restaurant kitchen chef been given the best, most fresh vegetables, the juiciest tenderest cuts of meat and the nicest spices from round the world, but then has to use a manual mixing bowl to mix, use the big old fashioned AGA to cook on and the wood burning stove to heat up the liquids.

The kit looks beautiful and is easy to use, and boy, can the chef cook up some wonderful dishes! But the chef is looking enviously through the window at the restaurant kitchen next door - that chef has an electric food blender, the fan assisted oven which steams as well, and the microwave for heating things up quickly, he also has the best sharpest knives so can save so much time and make his life easier.

But our Chefs boss has just walked in and said "I've got us signed up with another 100 suppliers of different meats and veg and spices!" Our chef doesn't want another 100 spices or another bloody cabbage! He wants a way to mix his food quicker, to bake it faster so that 'banger' in the oven gets finished quicker!

He doesn't want to squint to read the shitty knob numbers on the Aga, he wants to have a high res screen to select which oven program he wants, just like the Siemens Combi Microwave and Steam oven the bastard chef opposite has!

We've got all the ingredients we need - just give us an upgrade on our kitchen tools - the Sequencer!

See you at 6pm on the livestream!
oh no I'm so hungry now :clap:
12 with 11 Suite :reason:/ Akai Mini Mk3 / MPD218 /Eve SC207 Monitors / Mrs10 Sub / Motu M2 / Zen Can

idliketoremainanon

27 Jan 2021

Ok VCs suck, subscriptions suck. Yes, I know. Disappointed too. But the worst for me is that it continues the trend of RS of not caring about the DAW. It's all about plugins, REs and packs. I can still purchase full R12 when it comes, yeah, but given RS track record I'm not positive on R12 being exciting at all. DAW will now be just a nice extra Reason has.

diminished
Competition Winner

27 Jan 2021

joeyluck wrote:
27 Jan 2021
Livestream is live

I love Ryan and I feel truly sorry for him right now.

manisnotabird

27 Jan 2021

One of the sounds in one of the sound packs is literally just an ID8 device in a combinator with two combinator knobs assigned to control the two ID8 knobs, lol.

m.arthur

27 Jan 2021

UGHHH.

All their attention is on the new generation of users. The old timers continue to get the middle finger.

It's hardly with it, but: booooooooooo.

earwig83

27 Jan 2021

diminished wrote:
27 Jan 2021
joeyluck wrote:
27 Jan 2021
Livestream is live

I love Ryan and I feel truly sorry for him right now.
Oh wow. agree. VC's sure know how to ruin a brand. Even the new ad sucks. Garbage voice/tone. Poor Ryan. He is so charming. The VC guy, not.

diminished
Competition Winner

27 Jan 2021

manisnotabird wrote:
27 Jan 2021
One of the sounds in one of the sound packs is literally just an ID8 device in a combinator with two combinator knobs assigned to control the two ID8 knobs, lol.
:clap: :lol:

stp2015

27 Jan 2021

EnochLight wrote:
27 Jan 2021
stp2015 wrote:
27 Jan 2021
:lol: Are you kidding me or yourself? :lol: :lol:
Don't you have an "upgrade" to buy? :lol: :lol:
Why are you still arguing against a point I never made? Easy to win an argument if you decide what your opponents position is! hahahah

earwig83

27 Jan 2021

idliketoremainanon wrote:
27 Jan 2021
Ok VCs suck, subscriptions suck. Yes, I know. Disappointed too. But the worst for me is that it continues the trend of RS of not caring about the DAW. It's all about plugins, REs and packs. I can still purchase full R12 when it comes, yeah, but given RS track record I'm not positive on R12 being exciting at all. DAW will now be just a nice extra Reason has.
That's what we all feel! Logically it makes sense to care about us less in a way. new people brings money. But they should always try and balance who they serve.

Give us the ability to have license on two machines, rent to own reason license of a given year, and we are square. But no, they think they know us best. They don't.

But if they are more than just a business, which they used to be, they would make this right. But that VC guy is simply unlikeable and totally a vulture. He isn't even a music first person. At least the old CEO was. Sad days.

• Information