Reason 9.5 – VST in Reason

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
chimp_spanner

28 Apr 2017

Heater wrote:
chimp_spanner wrote:I'll be intentionally vague so as to keep to the terms of the beta test agreement. But I will say this; if you're worried that VSTs will break the Reason "paradigm" or ruin the workflow, worry not. Everything fits in nicely with CV and audio routing. Automation works perfectly. Trust me, I think even the doubters are gonna love this when it drops. And that's all I'll say on the matter for now!
It sounds awesome.
It really is. And honestly, I think for me and for perhaps many others this will just allow us to use essential tools where we need it. In my case, POD Farm and Superior Drummer and the Kontakt stuff. Beyond that, I still love my REs.

Of course, for people totally new to Reason they'll be able to work exclusively using VSTs and it'll feel not too dissimilar to what they're used to now, but the deeper they dive into the rack system the more they'll want to investigate REs.

moneykube

28 Apr 2017

this makes me very happy... possibilities will be endless :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up: :puf_smile: :mrgreen:
31 days? until touch down... free for all reason 9 users... whoop
https://soundcloud.com/moneykube-qube/s ... d-playlist
Proud Member Of The Awesome League Of Perpetuals

Jagwah

28 Apr 2017

Oh my effing god, did this just happen?

How very exciting!!!

Oquasec

28 Apr 2017

Fl studio might s t ill haave a use then.
Producer/Programmer.
Reason, FLS and Cubase NFR user.

Jagwah

28 Apr 2017

Can you guys believe it??!? :D

Jagwah

28 Apr 2017

ryanharlin wrote:Image
This needs to be everywhere!

RandomSkratch

28 Apr 2017

Tumble wrote:
Marc Swing wrote:
danc wrote:One thing I've been awaiting in Reason for a long time is a much more advanced sampler - beyond NN-XT which has served me well, but always feel like I'm fighting it rather than working with it (especially on the splitting up of samples across the keyboard). VST could be my route to making this happen. There are plenty of really strong and well-supported VST sample players/editors to choose from.
Yes same here! any suggestions of a good vst sampler?
Oh snap I totally forgot about that! MMmmmmmmm

RandomSkratch

28 Apr 2017

chrischrischris wrote:Hi,

As I watch The Video for The 3RD time I am noticing that there are 4 options when A VST window is open. Keep Open / Automation / Remote / Camera.

Camera is changed in a later image to Screenshot.

I'm wondering if that is something to do with the way that Undo / Redo will be implemented. Interesting.

Chris
The Camera/Screenshot is just that - for an image (for displaying the plugin). Has nothing to do with undo/redo.

Gulale

28 Apr 2017

Is the SSL theme is dark on this release please?
Gulale aka Bereket

EnochLight

28 Apr 2017

Karim wrote: You are making a big mistake of evaluation. Just a tiny....

We're talking about maybe millions of VST users vs thousands of Reason Users.
No way ...
I think you're making a big mistake of evaluation yourself. There's no way that Reason only has "thousands of users". You can do some simple math and easily determine that: the number of employees that Propellerhead has x the average salary in Sweden. They have to have enough paying users to generate enough net operating income to pay those employees and yet still remain profitable. Hint: it's far more than "thousands of users". ;) Also, news flash: venture capitals generally don't invest in companies that don't have a proven track record of being profitable (and don't have potential for more growth). ;) Just say'n! But, I digress...
jfrichards wrote:I just made this comment over at Marco's blog at MelodieFabriek. I don't mean to denigrate the VST integration in the slightest, I love it.

I don’t expect Reason will be concentrating on its desktop/laptop development very much after 9.5 and video. If you look at Ernst in the 9.5 announcement video, he looks like he just got beat up.
Well come on now, man... :roll: That's cold.
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

reasonable rich

28 Apr 2017

chimp_spanner wrote:I'll be intentionally vague so as to keep to the terms of the beta test agreement. But I will say this; if you're worried that VSTs will break the Reason "paradigm" or ruin the workflow, worry not. Everything fits in nicely with CV and audio routing. Automation works perfectly. Trust me, I think even the doubters are gonna love this when it drops. And that's all I'll say on the matter for now!
Could you tell us if you're able to rewire into another DAW (Reason as slave) and the VST's are still useable? Still trying to find this answer!

Heater

28 Apr 2017

So have the Props now back tracked on everything they said they would never do?

ltbrunt00

28 Apr 2017

Don't get me wrong. I like the RE format, I buy them like two fat men fighting over the last pork chop (bad analogy).
I think as far as synths reason is one of the kings in that area with the RE format.

For me Rack Extensions and Refills for film type scoring though getting better just can't compare to the sheer might of some of some VST libraries.
Now that I know I can use the tools listed below in reason I can focus on buying "ALL" the Synth RE and Refills in reason.

I don't see people like Rop Papen leaving the RE format. I am sort of lazy in this regard that I like buying my stuff within one integrated system like reason. Yeah I could buy Robs VST versions of his REs but I like a one stop shopping solution. On average don't like having to figure out all the different VST licensing schemes. So I will always choose the reason RE or Refill before going out to get the VST. I don't use to many Synths outside of what is in reason. I have all the Komplete Synth stuff, I will probably dabble with these more now they are in reason.

Maybe we can purchase our VST libraries through the PH shop in the future. Or and a VST serial number to the your PH account and download it through the PH Shop.

The big dilemma now is what to do with Studio one and Bitwig. My dream came true........I like all the crazy stuff you can do in Bitwig but studio one which I like very much as well doesn't get me that excited on a daily bases, I was starting projects in Reason then duplicate it in S1 to use VST instruments.....Now that's over. . Other than Finale and Notion basic S1 will probably be retired now.

Heavyocity,
Spitfire Audio
Native Instruments
E-instruments
East West
Garritan,
and many more.
Reason, Nuendo, Studio One
https://soundcloud.com/user-404930848

RequiemMachine

28 Apr 2017

From the looks of the design of the Plugin Rack Unit...it looks like a mutated Combinator without the knobs and buttons. Maybe that signals a new and beefier Combinator in R10...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reason+ / Ableton Live / VCV Rack 2 pro
Producer/Artist of Sasquatch Cloaking Technology
Musican ~ Illustrator ~ Professional Napper

evolve187

28 Apr 2017

fully integrated VST!!!! its like a Christmas miracle......WOW!
No trees were destroyed in the sending of this message, however, a significant number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

https://soundcloud.com/terry-wilson-music

sdst
Competition Winner

28 Apr 2017

why are some people crying?

It's a wonderful integration

You can have VST in the browser drag to the rack like RE

now there is RE and VST

Enjoy

ltbrunt00

28 Apr 2017

Or one theory about this announcement is that we were living in a Virtual Simulation that collapsed (Failed drive) and after it was restored from a backup some of us were moved over to a version of the simulation that VST in Reason is a reality. Some Reason users may have been restored back to the old simulation that does not contain VST in Reason.

Almost seems like the impossible just happened. Whats next

Microsoft dumping the windows kernel then porting their GUI to run on Linux/Unix
Apple buying Disney.
Google merging with Facebook.
Donald Trump becoming the US president.

At this point anything can happen............Detroit lions winning the Superbowl this year.......

EnochLight

28 Apr 2017

sdst wrote:why are some people crying?
Because Internet.
sdst wrote: It's a wonderful integration

You can have VST in the browser drag to the rack like RE

now there is RE and VST

Enjoy
Completely agree! ;)
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

Arrant
Competition Winner

28 Apr 2017

Biggest newsflash from Propellerhead since the launch of Reason itself!
Totally psyched, didn't really miss VSTs all that much but then I started looking into (or more accurately, drooling over) the more serious Kontakt libraries that are out there and wondered how to fit them into my workflow using EMI etc.

Anyway, one big question that I can't see have been answered, will we be able to take advantage of the UAD system? Big deal for me since I almost bought a new soundcard earlier this week (glad I didn't though :puf_smile: )

ltbrunt00

28 Apr 2017

I'm just saying, Once I get the Beta I will tell the family to hit the road for a few days, take a vacation, leave me alone.

Like anything there will probably be some bugs and I will be happy to have these bugs.

esselfortium

28 Apr 2017

reasonable rich wrote:
Could you tell us if you're able to rewire into another DAW (Reason as slave) and the VST's are still useable? Still trying to find this answer!
VST is only available when Reason is running standalone, not in ReWire slave mode.
Sarah Mancuso
My music: Future Human

machobeats

28 Apr 2017

I'm so excited! And I just can't hide it!!!!! [emoji41]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Karim
Competition Winner

28 Apr 2017

EnochLight wrote:
Karim wrote: You are making a big mistake of evaluation. Just a tiny....

We're talking about maybe millions of VST users vs thousands of Reason Users.
No way ...
I think you're making a big mistake of evaluation yourself. There's no way that Reason only has "thousands of users". You can do some simple math and easily determine that: the number of employees that Propellerhead has x the average salary in Sweden. They have to have enough paying users to generate enough net operating income to pay those employees and yet still remain profitable. Hint: it's far more than "thousands of users". ;) Also, news flash: venture capitals generally don't invest in companies that don't have a proven track record of being profitable (and don't have potential for more growth). ;) Just say'n! But, I digress...
jfrichards wrote:I just made this comment over at Marco's blog at MelodieFabriek. I don't mean to denigrate the VST integration in the slightest, I love it.

I don’t expect Reason will be concentrating on its desktop/laptop development very much after 9.5 and video. If you look at Ernst in the 9.5 announcement video, he looks like he just got beat up.
Well come on now, man... :roll: That's cold.

Now as I do not have the numbers under my hand. Maybe there are 10 million Reason users. This is not the talk.
It's that I do not think reason users can exceed the sum of all 10 daw users put together.
It was the concept I was interested in expressing. I do not want to count on propellerhead or I know details.

But it is a fact that VST is a format with which it is difficult if not impossible to compete in terms of success and diffusion.
Karim Le Mec : Dj/Producer/Label Owner ( :reason: 11.3 + R12.x + IMac 2016 21")
FOLLOW Karim Le Mec
https://www.youtube.com/user/lemecdj
https://karimlemec.weebly.com/
https://soundcloud.com/karimlemec
https://t.me/reasonstudiosworld

Goriila Texas

28 Apr 2017

Finally, Reason is full grown. Now upgrade the sequencer and add better mixing and editing tools because vst integration is not making me leave Studio One.

PeZiK

28 Apr 2017

Nice to have VST support, but here's the thing. When I was working with other DAW's and VST's - it was a pure pain in the a$$ to install..specially when you got a new workstation. Scattered all over the world, go to this website, login, what was the password again, get the newest version, install, wrong VST version, repeat...aaaargh!

What I love about Reason and the RE is you just have to hit one button to sync everything and bam! - it's all there with no effort at all!

I really hope there will be VST's in Prop shop and some clever install mechanism like the RE's....Really hope so! Are you listening Props? ;)

P.

• Information