Poll - How Many Songs Have You Finished and Released in 2016?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.

Poll - How Many Songs Have You Finished and Released Using Reason in 2016

Zero Songs Finished and Released
32%
1-4 Songs Finished and Released
22%
5-9 Songs Finished and Released
8%
10-19 Songs Finished and Released
11%
20+ Songs Finished and Released
9%
I Only Use Reason to Mix / Master Other People's Music
1%
I Only Use Reason for ReFill Creation or Sound Design
No votes
I Only Use Reason for Fun and Don't Intend to Write Finished Songs
1%
I Don't Write Songs, I Spend All My Time on ReasonTalk Talking About Reason
3%
I Use Reason Purely for Personal Enjoyment as a Hobby and Don't Intend to Release Any Songs
12%

Total votes: 74
MannequinRaces

30 Aug 2016

For this polls purpose a 'song' is considered any piece of music that has been mixed, mastered, and released using Reason for this year, 2016. To be considered 'released' it has to be out in the wild and not sitting on your hard drive (SoundCloud, BandCamp, iTunes, personal website, etc.). I'm curious as to how productive or non-productive we are or if some of us don't care about writing songs at all! :)
Last edited by MannequinRaces on 31 Aug 2016, edited 2 times in total.

dioxide

30 Aug 2016

Zero. It's typically the release bit that takes a long time but also the demo part, finding the right place for a track. I've waited up to 3 years for a release to come out and I have a release in the pipeline that features a track which was probably written in 2008 (??). You can get stuff out faster if you self release but it isn't always the best way.

A better measure of people's productivity is how many songs they have finished. Release often relies on other people, cash flow etc.

boobytrap

30 Aug 2016

Excellent choices of answers. Nice poll !
Reason 8 + Rack Extensions

FL Studio - Bitwig - Renoise - Massive - Zebra2 - Hive - Cyclop - Ozone 6

MannequinRaces

30 Aug 2016

I mentioned that SoudCloud, BandCamp, personal website are all valid examples of when a song is 'released.' I perhaps might have explained better but I read some sort of quote recently that went along the lines of 'if your music isn't released than it might as well just be an idea in your head.' I'm interested in the output or non-output of songs that make it all the way from creation -> finished song that other people can listen to. Hope that clears things up a bit. If you don't mind telling where are you releasing your music through?

jonheal

30 Aug 2016

Yay!! I am in the clear majority!! Woo hoo!!
Jon Heal:reason: :re: :refill:Do not click this link!

MannequinRaces

30 Aug 2016

boobytrap wrote:Excellent choices of answers. Nice poll !
Thank you for taking a look at it and participating if you did (I can't see who voted I don't think, this is the first poll I've done)!

boobytrap

30 Aug 2016

MannequinRaces wrote:
boobytrap wrote:Excellent choices of answers. Nice poll !
Thank you for taking a look at it and participating if you did (I can't see who voted I don't think, this is the first poll I've done)!
PM sent !
Reason 8 + Rack Extensions

FL Studio - Bitwig - Renoise - Massive - Zebra2 - Hive - Cyclop - Ozone 6

MannequinRaces

30 Aug 2016

jonheal wrote:Yay!! I am in the clear majority!! Woo hoo!!
Haha! Unfortunately me too. :( I need to light a fire under my own ass and finish and release some songs I've started.

sdst
Competition Winner

30 Aug 2016

I i can't select only one in this Poll. lol

pushedbutton

30 Aug 2016

I can't answer until you define 'finished and released'.
A song can be constantly evolving, even after a version of it has been committed to print or performed publicly.
A song can be released without being promoted or made available for sale.
Have I filled Alihoopa with crap and made it publicly available for download? yes. Have I made a piece of music I have finished, promoted it and made available for sale? No.
@pushedbutton on twitter, add me, send me a message, but don't try to sell me stuff cos I'm skint.
Using Reason since version 3 and still never finished a song.

MannequinRaces

30 Aug 2016

I already defined 'finished and released' above. To quote myself "To be considered 'released' it has to be out in the wild and not sitting on your hard drive (SoundCloud, BandCamp, iTunes, personal website, etc.)." Maybe I should have mentioned that released doesn't necessarily mean for sale. As long as the song is available for other people to listen to it is released. If you have full finished songs on Alihoopa those are definitely released. If you have a bunch of loops and short four to eight bar jams on Alihoopa, that doesn't count. :)
Last edited by MannequinRaces on 30 Aug 2016, edited 1 time in total.

MannequinRaces

30 Aug 2016

sdst wrote:I i can't select only one in this Poll. lol
Lol, yeah... there are a few I could have checked off also but thought only one option would be best.

plaamook

30 Aug 2016

Yep, wrote and finished an album. Well, I was working on it for a while but I fin them in Reason this year. Problem is I released the bastard on the 23rd June ie, Brexit. Totally crashed. (shrugs) So on to the next mission I guess.

Of course the other possibility is that it just sucked and no one cared, but there you have it.

Barotrauma by Eric Holm if anyone is interested.
Perpetual Reason 12 Beta Tester :reason:

You can check out my music here.
https://m.soundcloud.com/ericholmofficial
Or here.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC73uZZ ... 8jqUubzsQg

MannequinRaces

30 Aug 2016

Cool. Self-promotion and marketing are a whole other ball of wax! Congrats on actually getting an album finished!

MannequinRaces

30 Aug 2016

Thanks to everybody that has participated in the poll thus far! There are no right or wrong answers here. Mad props to the (so far as of this writing) two people that have said they have finished and released 20+ songs so far this year. I tip my hat to you both. I wish I were that prolific and disciplined to actually do it! Makes me wonder if any of those were done during the RPM challenge.

ProfessaKaos

31 Aug 2016

I have finished about 20+ but they are not to be released just yet, so my vote went 1-4 finished and released as I have only put out a few which were just remixes to put something out.
Reason 12 & 11.3 Suite PC- Windows 10, AMD Ryzen 9 5900x, Asus ROG CROSSHAIR Dark Hero VIII, 64GB G.Skill 3600C16 RAM, 980 Pro Samsung M.2, RTX3060.

https://soundcloud.com/juo-jual
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCwNLcE ... DjhSI16TqQ

txh003

31 Aug 2016

Zero.

I completed a 4 song Neo-Soul EP, in Samplitude Pro X2 not Reason, and plan to release it later this year on CD Baby. The music is 100% finalized and mastered. However, my artist website, social media pages and artwork for this particular project are under construction.

Music is a serious hobby of mine. However, it is not my main career path or source of income, which is an Embedded S/W Engineer in the Aerospace industry. With that said, as it relates to music endeavors, I am first and foremost a musician at heart and this year has been extremely busy with various Gospel and 90'ish R&B projects. Bass and guitar are my primary instruments, but I also play several brass instruments (trumpet, flugelhorn and valve trombone). In order to retain my musicianship skills at a professional level, it takes a considerable amount of practice per day, which takes time away from songwriting and other studio-related activities.

When I do produce my own music, I tend to bring other musicians into the studio to collaborate and handle certain parts of the arrangement, especially the main keyboard track, some background vocals and live drum tracks. Often the coordinating of efforts can take several weeks until everyone's schedule has the availability. Therefore, the overall production process is slow to get started and complete, but the added benefit is that it provides me with ample time for demo evaluations and rewrites.
:reason: :record: :recycle: :rebirth: :reload: :re: :refill:

dvdrtldg

31 Aug 2016

I've had a label patiently waiting for a bunch of tracks for 12 months now. I'm usually pretty good at deciding when something's finished and pushing it out into the world, but in this case I can't get them right, it's been driving me crazy. Recently I decided to just junk everything and start over, which has actually worked quite well - I've got three brand new tracks done in the last ten days which I'm very happy with, and a new approach to some of the older ones which are now feeling less stale. Lectric Panda's Fritz RE has been a major part of the breakthrough, sometimes a bit of new gear will get the juices flowing

MannequinRaces

31 Aug 2016

ProfessaKaos wrote:I have finished about 20+ but they are not to be released just yet, so my vote went 1-4 finished and released as I have only put out a few which were just remixes to put something out.
Thanks for answering the poll truthfully! Any plans on releasing your other material this year?

MannequinRaces

31 Aug 2016

txh003 wrote:Zero.

I completed a 4 song Neo-Soul EP, in Samplitude Pro X2 not Reason, and plan to release it later this year on CD Baby. The music is 100% finalized and mastered. However, my artist website, social media pages and artwork for this particular project are under construction.

Music is a serious hobby of mine. However, it is not my main career path or source of income, which is an Embedded S/W Engineer in the Aerospace industry. With that said, as it relates to music endeavors, I am first and foremost a musician at heart and this year has been extremely busy with various Gospel and 90'ish R&B projects. Bass and guitar are my primary instruments, but I also play several brass instruments (trumpet, flugelhorn and valve trombone). In order to retain my musicianship skills at a professional level, it takes a considerable amount of practice per day, which takes time away from songwriting and other studio-related activities.

When I do produce my own music, I tend to bring other musicians into the studio to collaborate and handle certain parts of the arrangement, especially the main keyboard track, some background vocals and live drum tracks. Often the coordinating of efforts can take several weeks until everyone's schedule has the availability. Therefore, the overall production process is slow to get started and complete, but the added benefit is that it provides me with ample time for demo evaluations and rewrites.
Cool! Any plans to use Reason to release anything in the future or are you pretty happy with Samplitude? Using live musicians is the best. Sounds like you're a busy fella! :)

MannequinRaces

31 Aug 2016

dvdrtldg wrote:I've had a label patiently waiting for a bunch of tracks for 12 months now. I'm usually pretty good at deciding when something's finished and pushing it out into the world, but in this case I can't get them right, it's been driving me crazy. Recently I decided to just junk everything and start over, which has actually worked quite well - I've got three brand new tracks done in the last ten days which I'm very happy with, and a new approach to some of the older ones which are now feeling less stale. Lectric Panda's Fritz RE has been a major part of the breakthrough, sometimes a bit of new gear will get the juices flowing
Wow! Three tracks in ten days is amazing! I am soooooo close to pulling the trigger on Fritz! What kind of label are you releasing on and what genre is your music?

Kov

31 Aug 2016

I put 11 on soundcloud this year. 8 of them also exist on 4 2-track-vinyl-EP's. But only as a single cut copy for my self.

MannequinRaces

31 Aug 2016

Kov wrote:I put 11 on soundcloud this year. 8 of them also exist on 4 2-track-vinyl-EP's. But only as a single cut copy for my self.
Very cool! I'll have to check some of your stuff out.

EnochLight

31 Aug 2016

I've spent the last 6 months working on an album that I intend to release, hopefully this fall (late) or early winter. We'll see how that goes! :D
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

normen

31 Aug 2016

Wheres the "I don't write songs, I mix / produce other peoples songs" option? :)

• Information