Bitwig 2 coming in February

Want to talk about music hardware or software that doesn't include Reason?
EdGrip

12 Jan 2017

Yup.

https://www.bitwig.com/en/bitwig-studio/bitwig-studio-2

I always liked the idea of the Ableton thing, hate the interface. I'm interested.

tiker01

12 Jan 2017

Two things missing.
Ableton Link and ReWire.

Budapest, Hungary
Reason 11 Suite
Lenovo ThinkPad e520 Win10x64 8GB RAM Intel i5-2520M 2,5-3,2 GHz and AMD 6630M with 1GB of memory.
:rt: :reason: :essentials: :re: :refill: :PUF_balance: :ignition: :PUF_figure:

miscend

12 Jan 2017

It's still missing features they promised when they first revealed showed Bitwig. Stuff like online collaboration and the modular device creation.

submonsterz

12 Jan 2017

miscend wrote:It's still missing features they promised when they first revealed showed Bitwig. Stuff like online collaboration and the modular device creation.
Still got a lot more going for it than reason in such a short time though ehhh . Bit more time will show this and give it way more advantage / features than reason has got in all the years its been made. Its almost got everything plus more all ready than reason .

dioxide

12 Jan 2017

OT: I'm still pissed at Propellerhead for not having some kind of clip system. It's 2017 FFS!

EdGrip

12 Jan 2017

I know. If they had a clip launcher and sorted out Rex and sample handling I wouldn't even look over the fence.

EdGrip

12 Jan 2017

Basically, "if I had to have a VST DAW", I've always fancied Live or Bitwig - for the clip launching.

Creativemind

12 Jan 2017

Anyone got Bitwig then?
:reason:

Reason Studio's 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.82 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

dioxide

12 Jan 2017

Creativemind wrote:Anyone got Bitwig then?
Nope. I only know one person who uses it. One of those folks who was originally a Reason user but abandoned it in favour of Ableton before Reason had audio input, audio and MIDI.

Anyone else?

miscend

12 Jan 2017

submonsterz wrote:
miscend wrote:It's still missing features they promised when they first revealed showed Bitwig. Stuff like online collaboration and the modular device creation.
Still got a lot more going for it than reason in such a short time though ehhh . Bit more time will show this and give it way more advantage / features than reason has got in all the years its been made. Its almost got everything plus more all ready than reason .
After all these years Bitwig still hasn't gained much traction in the DAW market. I remember Reaper and Studio One were pretty quick to grow large loyal userbases. The official Bitwig forum is like a barren wasteland. Bitwig 1.0 got a very lukewarm reception, most Ableton users who tried it didn't think it offers much if anything over Live and didn't switch.

I'm speculating here, but if you look at the high upgrade price ($169 is higher than Ableton), the new yearly subscription model and the relative lack of headline features in version 2.0 -> this is a sign that they are desperate for cash and having problems implementing some of the features they promised to users. If you remember when they first announced Bitwig back in January 2012 they promised the world. It's exactly 5 years ago and many of the headline features have not been delivered yet. Propellerhead's have never over promised features and failed to deliver, if any thing they deserve credit for being very honest.

dioxide

12 Jan 2017

miscend wrote:
submonsterz wrote:
miscend wrote:Propellerhead's have never over promised features and failed to deliver, if any thing they deserve credit for being very honest.
This is true.

Bitwig looked to be a major thing but it took them so long to launch the interest fizzled out. I'm surprised they didn't manage to do the modular thing in V2 though, that was something a lot of people were interested in pre-V1.

dioxide

12 Jan 2017

miscend wrote:Propellerhead's have never over promised features and failed to deliver, if any thing they deserve credit for being very honest.
This is true.

Bitwig looked to be a major thing but it took them so long to launch the interest fizzled out. I'm surprised they didn't manage to do the modular thing in V2 though, that was something a lot of people were interested in pre-V1.[/quote]

anko

12 Jan 2017

miscend wrote:
submonsterz wrote:
After all these years Bitwig still hasn't gained much traction in the DAW market. I remember Reaper and Studio One were pretty quick to grow large loyal userbases. The official Bitwig forum is like a barren wasteland. Bitwig 1.0 got a very lukewarm reception, most Ableton users who tried it didn't think it offers much if anything over Live and didn't switch.

I'm speculating here, but if you look at the high upgrade price ($169 is higher than Ableton), the new yearly subscription model and the relative lack of headline features in version 2.0 -> this is a sign that they are desperate for cash and having problems implementing some of the features they promised to users. If you remember when they first announced Bitwig back in January 2012 they promised the world. It's exactly 5 years ago and many of the headline features have not been delivered yet. Propellerhead's have never over promised features and failed to deliver, if any thing they deserve credit for being very honest.
hmm good points. i sometimes do some audio work on linux so i liked the idea of bitwig for supporting that, but tried the demo and found it didn't have lv2 plugin support (a major plugin format on that platform, like au on osx), so wasn't interested.

the bitwig version 1 plugin support says lv2 is planned on linux but not in version 1. fair enough, but the version 2 release info _still_ makes no mention of this being available...

...and 169 euros a year to keep getting updates sucks the balls. ;)

txh003

12 Jan 2017

I have it, but will not upgrade to version 2. I never clicked with the software's workflow and have not used it for well over a year.

As a result of the new pricing model and a lack of use, I am ceasing further investments in Bitwig for the foreseeable future.
:reason: :record: :recycle: :rebirth: :reload: :re: :refill:

Gulale

12 Jan 2017

dioxide wrote:
miscend wrote:
submonsterz wrote:
This is true.

Bitwig looked to be a major thing but it took them so long to launch the interest fizzled out. I'm surprised they didn't manage to do the modular thing in V2 though, that was something a lot of people were interested in pre-V1.
Check this page https://www.bitwig.com/en/bitwig-studio ... dio-2.html
Gulale aka Bereket

anko

12 Jan 2017

Gulale wrote:
dioxide wrote:
miscend wrote:
submonsterz wrote:
This is true.

Check this page https://www.bitwig.com/en/bitwig-studio ... dio-2.html
the bitwig 2 announcement only talks about the new modulators as being another step along the road to one day being a fully modular system... ie a full major version after promising a fully modular system was coming, they are still only on the way to that.

Gulale

12 Jan 2017

I'm confused, are we looking a same page or my second language English went sideways?
A UNIVERSE OF MODULATORS
Introducing A New Modulation Paradigm
The current version of Bitwig Studio already offers one of the industry's most flexible and powerful modulation systems, and with Bitwig Studio 2 we’re taking things even further. We've reworked the entire modulation system and it now offers nearly endless possibilities;
this is a big step towards a fully modular device architecture.

In my understanding this is ( meaning bigwig studio 2) a big step towards a fully modular device architecture when it is released.
Gulale aka Bereket

Creativemind

13 Jan 2017

Does Bitwig mean anything. Strange name for a daw isn't it?

anko

13 Jan 2017

Gulale wrote:I'm confused, are we looking a same page or my second language English went sideways?
A UNIVERSE OF MODULATORS
Introducing A New Modulation Paradigm
The current version of Bitwig Studio already offers one of the industry's most flexible and powerful modulation systems, and with Bitwig Studio 2 we’re taking things even further. We've reworked the entire modulation system and it now offers nearly endless possibilities;
this is a big step towards a fully modular device architecture.

In my understanding this is ( meaning bigwig studio 2) a big step towards a fully modular device architecture when it is released.
Gulale: the key part here is "this is a big step towards a fully modular device architecture" (another "step toward").

there are 2 different things here with confusingly similar names: there's the (supposedly) improved "modulation system" (the "UNIVERSE OF MODULATORS") they're talking about, but also the "fully modular device architecture" promised since before version 1. (it's "modules" vs "modulators".)

the "modulation system" they're talking about is just the way you apply _musical_ modulators to your sounds within bitwig (like using the mod wheel or a modulator within a synth). they've changed the way you can do that to a new way they say has improved flexibility.

the "fully modular device architecture" was the original promise that all the internals of bitwig would be available as modules (and not only modulators) that you could plug together to make your own devices in a completely open way (think like native instruments reaktor but with all the building blocks of a daw available).

it was this second "fully modular device architecture" that was touted as being the killer feature of bitwig since before version 1 and that got a lot of people excited.

now, years later, and after versions 1 and 2 being released, they are still only saying they are taking a "step toward" that (whatever size step).

so people who were excited by those promises of an open, pluggable module based system are now even more disappointed by the failure to deliver, especially with their new pricing scheme, which, however way you try to spin it, now boils down to "pay 169 euros a year if you want to keep getting updates".

EdGrip

13 Jan 2017

... Which, assuming you only pay it when there's a new major version release, and assuming that happens every couple of years or so, is still a comparatively pricey upgrade price. At least, compared to Reason's upgrade price.

I think they are setting their price point a bit high for what amounts to a fairly new and still niche/cult DAW. I'd love them to succeed and make a Live-beater.

What I DO like is the fact you can pay the upgrade fee whenever and not have to worry about if there's going to be a new version in 3 months' time.

anko

13 Jan 2017

EdGrip wrote:... Which, assuming you only pay it when there's a new major version release, and assuming that happens every couple of years or so, is still a comparatively pricey upgrade price. At least, compared to Reason's upgrade price.

I think they are setting their price point a bit high for what amounts to a fairly new and still niche/cult DAW. I'd love them to succeed and make a Live-beater.

What I DO like is the fact you can pay the upgrade fee whenever and not have to worry about if there's going to be a new version in 3 months' time.
which also assumes you don't want any incremental upgrades between 12 months and whenever new major version comes out. many people might want those intermediate incremental upgrades, at least in bitwig's case where those small upgrades have improved lots of "issues".

either way though i think you're right that it'd be nice for them to become a new worthwhile option, especially for those who like to produce some music on linux.

gak

14 Jan 2017

Sure, for 100 USD. It's terrific for idea comping.........2.0? Who cares!

gak

14 Jan 2017

Creativemind wrote:Does Bitwig mean anything. Strange name for a daw isn't it?
Means "cat in the bag"

anko

14 Jan 2017

gak wrote:
Sure, for 100 USD. It's terrific for idea comping.........2.0? Who cares!
woah, where you get for that price? they are quoting $299 US for version 1 and $399 US for version 2.

Creativemind

14 Jan 2017

gak wrote:
Creativemind wrote:Does Bitwig mean anything. Strange name for a daw isn't it?
Means "cat in the bag"

Really or are you messing with me :question:

• Information