If you only had one midi controller...

Want to talk about music hardware or software that doesn't include Reason?
Kaosis

27 Dec 2016

What would it be? I figure this is better than asking what's the best reason controller for the millionth time.

So if you had to reduce down to one controller (that you currently or previously owned)* for whatever reason, what would it be? Figure I'd keep my axiom 49, decent feeling keybed with aftertouch, knobs, faders, not overly large, etc. Crappy pads, but with redrum and key drumming I could manage.

*Edited for clarity.
Last edited by Kaosis on 27 Dec 2016, edited 1 time in total.

gak

27 Dec 2016

[obvious answer]nektar lx series[/obvious answer]

Benedict
Competition Winner

27 Dec 2016

I have a Nektar Panorama P6 and while the editing is as deep as possible, almost enough to turn off the computer screen (if you are odd like that). That makes it the "best" in many ways.

However, I barely use the editability past the surface (which is the same as any ReMote controller offers). That and as I own the keyboard longer I find the knobs and sliders are getting increasingly sticky and goopy from the humidity & dust. Coupled with the noisy keys I often feel like replacing P6 with something cheaper like a LaunchKey (assuming they have ironed out the un-playing keys in the ReMote map).

UPDATE: I forgot to add that I have to restart my PC almost every time I use Reason as the P6 increasingly can't recognize Reason is there. Nektar blames that on the PC USB bus power being poor and to buy a powered hub but it is the same PC that used to be fine.

:)
Benedict Roff-Marsh
Completely burned and gone

HepCat

27 Dec 2016

Hmmm hard question, l can only speak for what l know, but if l had money l'd try something more expensive ofc, it's just that l don't know for a fact l'd like it or it'd be suitable or cost effective.

I'm sure you're implying cost is a factor otherwise my answer will be the most expensive one on the market whatever that is. Bound to satisfy.

So, the best controller that l actually know? Edirol PCR-300 (or better, -500 or -800, same but more octaves).
Check it - all the sliders and dials, even touch sensitive pads and a crossfader. Quite light too (PCR-300).
I believe it can store multiple maps and scroll thru them ... as if l'd ever read the manual to find out hehe.

Kaosis

27 Dec 2016

I edited the original post so this doesn't become a dream controller thread per say. Maybe there's enough overlap to point people at a few controllers previously overlooked versus the standard it's a personal preference or panorama thing.

EdGrip

27 Dec 2016

I suppose the P6 is the obvious answer, for all its integration. It's on my long-term want list.
But desert-island wise, maybe I'd be after the one which was simply the best instrument, so that I could play for myself to unwind like I do with guitar. So then, it's "which has the nicest keybed"?
I don't know. The only controller I've ever had is my boring old Launchkey 49 that came bundled with Reason. I'd love to hear about what else is out there, especially for playability.

Carly(Poohbear)
Competition Winner

27 Dec 2016

Benedict wrote: UPDATE: I forgot to add that I have to restart my PC almost every time I use Reason as the P6 increasingly can't recognize Reason is there. Nektar blames that on the PC USB bus power being poor and to buy a powered hub but it is the same PC that used to be fine.

I started to have this issue and I tracked it down to Chrome taking control of the midi device.

I did this thread about it.. viewtopic.php?f=12&t=7497151&p=287518&h ... ar#p287518

I do sometimes have to stop chrome even though I have the option set not to touch the midi device but to be fair not as much so at some level that setting is having an effect..

Carly(Poohbear)
Competition Winner

27 Dec 2016

Personally I think the Nektar P series is the best purely for integration, KB action is not that bad either...

For reference: I do still own a Oxygen 49, very simple and light KB, sliders and pots a bit on the cheap side, but for price it ain't bad, have had mine for several years and it's only one pot I have had issues with.

Did by a Akai LPK25 early this year as I was on a bit of road trip, wow for such a little thing,KB action does suck but for price it comes with a 25 velocity-sensitive mini-keyboard keys, Arpeggiator, sustain button, octave up and down, and tap tempo controls and it's about foot long (maybe just over)

My big daddy keyboard is my Korg T1, can't beat it for the KB action...... or the universe sound :D

Benedict
Competition Winner

27 Dec 2016

Carly(Poohbear) wrote:
Benedict wrote: UPDATE: I forgot to add that I have to restart my PC almost every time I use Reason as the P6 increasingly can't recognize Reason is there. Nektar blames that on the PC USB bus power being poor and to buy a powered hub but it is the same PC that used to be fine.

I started to have this issue and I tracked it down to Chrome taking control of the midi device.

I did this thread about it.. viewtopic.php?f=12&t=7497151&p=287518&h ... ar#p287518

I do sometimes have to stop chrome even though I have the option set not to touch the midi device but to be fair not as much so at some level that setting is having an effect..
Thanks Carly, seems to be working now. I use Chrome for everything. That is the second time in a couple of days I have had to change Chrome settings to stop it taking control of the whole computer. Maybe we should be asking Google to stop assuming we want them to control every knob, button and peripheral in our lives without asking first.

Benedict Roff-Marsh
Completely burned and gone

Catblack

27 Dec 2016

Thanks for the tip about that Chrome setting. Anything that gets in the way of me making music must be destroyed!

I just ran across the Seaboard RISE midi controller, and if it had a display to tell you how it's mapped to each device it'd probably be perfect.

I think (though haven't tried) an OhmRGB would be almost perfect, if it had velocity sensitivity on the button grid.

Sorry I'm not much help to this thread, because no matter how many dials and faders you tack onto a keyboard, you'll still want to look at the device and know what they are mapped to. Which makes the Nektar Panoramas the strong contender.
If you ain't hip to the rare Housequake, shut up already.

Damn.

Kaosis

27 Dec 2016

Yeah, I was hoping this wouldn't become a dream controller thread lol. Kinda figured it would though. Anyways, if you had to sell off all your gear and keep only one midi controller (that you currently have or used to have) what would it be?

EdGrip

28 Dec 2016

Propellerhead linked on Twitter yesterday to this: http://retouchcontrol.com/pusher/ - full hardware mapping to use Ableton Push 2 with Reason. I've always liked the idea of the Push, to get me out of a piano way of thinking, so maybe I'd just take that to the desert island to force me to look at music anew.

txh003

28 Dec 2016

The Akai MPK88 is my favorite MIDI controller within my studio. Therefore, it would be my MIDI controller of choice, if I were limited to just one option.
:reason: :record: :recycle: :rebirth: :reload: :re: :refill:

nooomy

28 Dec 2016

Kaosis wrote:What would it be? I figure this is better than asking what's the best reason controller for the millionth time.

So if you had to reduce down to one controller (that you currently or previously owned)* for whatever reason, what would it be? Figure I'd keep my axiom 49, decent feeling keybed with aftertouch, knobs, faders, not overly large, etc. Crappy pads, but with redrum and key drumming I could manage.

*Edited for clarity.
yeapp! i agree i looove my Axiom 25. Axiom for life!

stratatonic

28 Dec 2016

Kaosis wrote:What would it be?

iPad.

tumar

28 Dec 2016

HepCat wrote: So, the best controller that l actually know? Edirol PCR-300 (or better, -500 or -800, same but more octaves).
Check it - all the sliders and dials, even touch sensitive pads and a crossfader. Quite light too (PCR-300).
I believe it can store multiple maps and scroll thru them ... as if l'd ever read the manual to find out hehe.
Second that. So rich set of controllers and seamless Reason control via Dynamic Mapping mode.

electrofux

29 Dec 2016

If it has to be only one controller then Push 1 but only because i can program my own codec for it. Push 2 is trickier for me because of the display.

But as stated in the other thread i went for a combination of controllers. If i would start over again i would indeed go for Push 1 only and sooner or later i will stumble over a cheap one.

fieldframe
RE Developer

29 Dec 2016

Does anyone here use PusheR? I've been thinking of picking up a secondhand Push 1 (or if it's really worth it, splurging on a Push 2) but it's hard to guess how I'd use it day-to-day based on just the videos.

gak

30 Dec 2016

stratatonic wrote:
Kaosis wrote:What would it be?

iPad.

this is NOT the worst answer in the world.

Both my delora reason control and my FL studio "free" ipad control are phenomenal. In fact, sometimes I'm so stupid I don't have them on and available when doing music, it's a drag.

BTW, if you have one, get this, you'll thank me later.

http://www.frys.com/product/8555379?sou ... fgod30kGfw

You're welcome

O1B

30 Dec 2016

nooomy wrote:yeapp! i agree i looove my Axiom 25. Axiom for life!
Axiom Pro 61...first MIDI keyboard after getting bored with a low level Yamaha PSR.
Never bought that Native Inst. Keyboard... can't... seem... to... part... with... this one.

but these days, I just use the KEYS midi'd to a Hardware synth.
I tried the Nectar keys....but the action.... blech.
And that Noisy, shotgun Fader.... makes me laugh everytime....

Still awaiting the next P6, though... re ally interested in what they do next.. (screen-wise)

Olivier

27 Jan 2017

If i had to throw everything out but 1, i'd keep my master keyboard.
10614781_800.jpg
10614781_800.jpg (43.4 KiB) Viewed 3238 times
:reason: V9 | i7 5930 | Motu 828 MK3 | Win 10

FlowerSoldier

27 Jan 2017

This is the opposite response to the question, but had to make a PSA:

Whatever you do...stay away from the Arturia Controllers. They are some of the hooptiest pieces of jank on the market. Their Soft Synths are amazing, but the hardware is a problem looking for a place to happen.

O1B

27 Jan 2017

You're wrong abut KeyStep, I gotta say. It's been a success for me.

not by Arturia, but not a bad one either. It or it's Red Cousin:
FlowerSoldier wrote:This is the opposite response to the question, but had to make a PSA:

Whatever you do...stay away from the Arturia Controllers. They are some of the hooptiest pieces of jank on the market. Their Soft Synths are amazing, but the hardware is a problem looking for a place to happen.

FlowerSoldier

27 Jan 2017

O1B wrote:You're wrong abut KeyStep, I gotta say. It's been a success for me.
You're right, I haven't tried that one. That would be great if Arturia stepped up their Quality Control. It was a mess for a while.

• Information