Pure talent plus knowing your gear

Want to talk about music hardware or software that doesn't include Reason?
dioxide

20 Oct 2016

This guy is incredible. You might not like the music but the level of skill is amazing.

Found in this thread on Gearslutz:
https://www.gearslutz.com/board/music-c ... -fast.html

Gorgon

21 Oct 2016

I don't think he has a girlfriend.
"This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit."

Marco Raaphorst

21 Oct 2016

what he comes up with is a cliche.

TheMiles

21 Oct 2016

The Piano Is really sweet :)

dioxide

21 Oct 2016

Marco Raaphorst wrote:what he comes up with is a cliche.
Maybe, but there is plenty of call for this kind of music for TV and video. He does this professionally so hitting deadlines and producing something professional comes above producing something that will last decades.

I'm surprised at the sore arsed comments on here, I did warn that you might not like the music. I'm sure he doesn't normally work at a piece 10 minutes at a time, these are marketing videos for his services as a musician / programmer. Very few people can work at that pace which gives him an advantage over others.

jonheal

21 Oct 2016

I liked it. Very definitely fast with the fingers. I think it's beyond skill. Raw throbbing talent.
Jon Heal:reason: :re: :refill:Do not click this link!

submonsterz

21 Oct 2016

jonheal wrote:I liked it. Very definitely fast with the fingers. I think it's beyond skill. Raw throbbing talent.
Agreed .

submonsterz

21 Oct 2016

dioxide wrote: I'm surprised at the sore arsed comments on here
Jealousy pure and simple if i dared a guess.
I havent heard anyone on here put together such nice pieces in even a day or week or even months of timeframe

selig
RE Developer

21 Oct 2016

Imagine how much faster it would go if he used quantize record, and was loop recording. ;)
Seems like a LOT of key strokes to "quantize", and "loop", etc. - should only be one or two keystrokes, but sounds like he's typing an email each time!
What app is he using?
;)
Selig Audio, LLC

Gorgon

21 Oct 2016

dioxide wrote:
Maybe, but there is plenty of call for this kind of music for TV and video. He does this professionally so hitting deadlines and producing something professional comes above producing something that will last decades.

I'm surprised at the sore arsed comments on here, I did warn that you might not like the music. I'm sure he doesn't normally work at a piece 10 minutes at a time, these are marketing videos for his services as a musician / programmer. Very few people can work at that pace which gives him an advantage over others.
I'm just not that impressed. What's that software he's using anyway?
"This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit."

jonheal

21 Oct 2016

Renoise?

dioxide

21 Oct 2016

Voyetra apparently. It's all in the thread linked in the OP.
The program I use is called Voyetra and I have been using it since 1987.
It really is a DOS based program that I am using only for sequencing.
It is triggering a new computer that has VST Instruments.
There are loads on features in new DAWs that I wouldn't want to be without. The point for me is to learn your gear to the point it becomes subconscious. I am like this in Reason up to a point as it is the only thing I use, but seeing this shows I could go a lot further. Plus I don't have the skills as a musician that he has ;)

dioxide

21 Oct 2016

This sums it up for me, from someone else on the thread:
Everyone always focuses on the tools, when they are not the point.The point everyone is missing, as usual, is the performance part. The writing of the actual musical parts. The skilled execution. The fact that he's a great piano player. The fact that he can play ghost snare notes perfectly without quantizing or going back over
things to correct bad timing or velocity shaping. The fact that he's playing everything in virtually perfectly the first time.
Choosing the right sounds. Has gathered his samples and vst's extremely intelligently. Has nearly 30 years of experience.

So you should'nt be saying "OH! Voyetra! wow, it's DOS, wow, hmmm, hhaaww" Anybody can come up with a fast way to paste midi performances with any DAW.

It's the skills. It's the skills. It's the skills. It's the skills.

It's not the hammer, or the screwdriver, its the carpenter.

A thousand bucks says there are a bunch of people looking into Voyetra after seeing this, and don't realize that it's not
going to change a damn thing for them.
You'd be much better off taking music lessons, and practicing your butt off.

I'm a guitarist, and i see this constantly of guitar forums. Somebody sees a great player, and instead of asking who
they studied with, they ask what guitar they're playing, and what strings are on it. They don't understand that that
does'nt mean a damn thing.
I don't want to dismiss his skills on the sequencer at all though, he can use it without thinking. The point is that there are lots of factors here but the resulting workflow is amazing. It's not about the software.

Marco Raaphorst

21 Oct 2016

dioxide wrote:

Yeah sorry to sound sore arsed. But I didn't like the music. Doesn't matter if it takes a year or a minute. I just listen.

I'm sure it's great for marketing people. They always want the same lame shit. Oh sorry, me being sore arsed again :)

dioxide

21 Oct 2016

Well if you do this full time you've got to have a way to get bookings or you starve. Aren't you a freelancer? People seem to lose all perspective on things as soon as the word Marketing gets used. I was talking about him marketing himself. As a freelancer you almost certainly do the same.

jonheal

21 Oct 2016

This is why I have decided to never comment on other folks music here or elsewhere. It's really pretty subjective, and for the creator, probably pretty personal. Art criticism, in general, adds no value, whatsoever.

Marco Raaphorst

21 Oct 2016

dioxide wrote:Well if you do this full time you've got to have a way to get bookings or you starve. Aren't you a freelancer? People seem to lose all perspective on things as soon as the word Marketing gets used. I was talking about him marketing himself. As a freelancer you almost certainly do the same.
I have my own company yes.

There are a million things to do stuff. For me everything comes down to the music. I make it hard for myself but I won't don't shit music. I say no way a lot.

I want stuff that impress the hell out of me. Not that lame shit.

QVprod

21 Oct 2016

I think it's asking for a lot to expect someone to create the most amazing piece of music in basically 10 min. Nothing about the music was bad (ignoring personal taste). That said. If he can do this in 10 minutes, Imagine what he could do with more time.

The guy is insanely talented, theres no doubt about that. Though I wonder why he chooses to use such an archaic sequencer instead of a DAW.

NicolaAlexandraHajdu

21 Oct 2016

dioxide wrote:

Have you ever heard of jealousy ?
There is no human being on this planet without "emote"ions.

Much Love
Nicola

jonheal

21 Oct 2016

NicolaAlexandraHajdu wrote:... There is no human being on this planet without "emote"ions.

Much Love
Nicola
I am pretty ionized myself. But this is because I tend to drag my feet on the carpet. I am a walking stun gun, except it's me who gets the stun.

Marco Raaphorst

21 Oct 2016

interesting. we all need to agree on what we like?

so I guess you all love Thelonius Monk as much as I do.

Gorgon

21 Oct 2016

Marco Raaphorst wrote:interesting. we all need to agree on what we like?

I'm with you Marco.

You know what? Seems quite a limited "programmer" that he has to stick with the same tool he's been using for 20 years. I had that same speed when I worked with Protracker back in 1992. But I moved on.

NicolaAlexandraHajdu

21 Oct 2016

jonheal wrote:
NicolaAlexandraHajdu wrote:... There is no human being on this planet without "emote"ions.

Much Love
Nicola
I am pretty ionized myself. But this is because I tend to drag my feet on the carpet. I am a walking stun gun, except it's me who gets the stun.
I know, Emot"ions" make you do that from time to time. See ? ;)

Regarding Jealousy i want to add that i'm proud of everyone regardless in what exactly they are good at. May it be just one instrument or one method, ...it really don't matter at all because i love to see, hear and witness Artists in their passionate moments with their Music. Everything else is cheap talk and nobody needs to be envy of anyone. Instead of Jealousy it makes more sense to be inspired. I apologize for my humble opinion in advance.

Much Love
Nicola

QVprod

22 Oct 2016

Gorgon wrote:
Marco Raaphorst wrote:interesting. we all need to agree on what we like?

I'm with you Marco.

You know what? Seems quite a limited "programmer" that he has to stick with the same tool he's been using for 20 years. I had that same speed when I worked with Protracker back in 1992. But I moved on.
I won't exactly call myself a "Thelonius Monk fan" but I acknowledge his talent. Keep in mind guys he did this in 10mins on an archaic midi sequencer. Could I come up with something better? Probably, but not in 10 minutes ;)

Also, according to the gearslutz thread he also has a Cubase setup. People just choose what works for them I guess. A lot of people use Renoise - personally, I can't fathom to understand the appeal of using a tracker for any reason let alone instead of a linear sequencer, but hey if it works it works.

Gorgon

22 Oct 2016

QVprod wrote: Also, according to the gearslutz thread he also has a Cubase setup. People just choose what works for them I guess. A lot of people use Renoise - personally, I can't fathom to understand the appeal of using a tracker for any reason let alone instead of a linear sequencer, but hey if it works it works.
A tracker gives you microscopic control over everything. It's great for working with samples (and manipulating them in 16th or 32nd steps). And Renoise has so many features now it would be completely undoable to list them all, but phrase sequencing and excellent automation manipulation (such as Reason has with Syncronous, but much better) come to mind.

• Information