KRAFTWERK

This forum is for anything not Reason related, if you just want to talk about other stuff. Please keep it friendly!
rorystorm

12 Jul 2023

Kraftwerk is playing in my town in November. They've only played in New Zealand a couple of times before and i couldn't afford to see them.

I squealed like a 12 year old and possibly I pooped myself a little.

Aosta

12 Jul 2023

rorystorm wrote:
12 Jul 2023

As long as it wasn't a full number 2 :D

Always wanted to see them live! Have a wonderful time :thumbup:
Tend the flame

Jagwah

14 Jul 2023

rorystorm wrote:
12 Jul 2023
Kraftwerk is playing in my town in November. They've only played in New Zealand a couple of times before and i couldn't afford to see them.

I think as music fans unless you live is some big city that gets big acts visiting all the time, opportunities like this are ones that must be taken. Enjoy the show!! :thumbup:

dvdrtldg

14 Jul 2023

That should be awesome!

I saw them in the early 90s, at this big old theatre in Edinburgh. I'd expected them to be great, but what I didn't expect was for them to be a massive foundations-shaking groove beast. One of the funkiest gigs I can remember, even Autobahn was tweaked for maximum dance potential

rorystorm

14 Jul 2023

Yeah I'm so excited. I'm listening to the man machine rn and and it really is a fantastic recording, and beautifully produced, unbelievable its from 1978.

Neon Lights! Pure bliss.

Bes
Competition Winner

15 Jul 2023

2003 in a very hot concrete industrial lot in the middle of summer. they were incredible
- Certified Reason expert

dvdrtldg

15 Jul 2023

rorystorm wrote:
14 Jul 2023
Neon Lights! Pure bliss.
Yep that's the one, a perfect track. I also love Europe Endless from TEE

Arpeg
Competition Winner

16 Jul 2023

Shall be amazing no doubt and Schneider-less. Florian, left Kraftwerk in 2009 and passed in May, 2020

Falk Grieffenhagen replaces him which I wasn't aware of tbh.. Interestingly, the Instrument(s) he plays are : Saxophone; flute; clarinet; piano

Kraftwerk's last record was Tour De France in 2003? Blimey and still headlining. Big Up
Speaking of which when 'Turbo' did that robotic broom scene in Breakdance the Movie to that beautiful techno sound, I was blown away by that as a kid. Mesmerizing
Tour De France (original) never made the cut for Breakdance Soundtrack LP '84 - Bad move although the LP sold well. Also, I think on the original 7" and 12" there is an edited version by Francois Kevorkian who is a really good DJ/producer and did a couple of excellent House EP's in the 90's - Francois K - Hypnodelic - Wave Rec

Would be good if you can get a few pics or vid footage. I saw them in 2004 at The Brixton Academy, London. Now the Carling Academy.
They have an interval/rest bite halfway through their set so when the group came back on stage, Scheneider, unexpectedly, appeared with a walking stick as a joke to getting old.. :lol: God Bless

I did a tribute track to Schneider although he did not write 'The Model' I used that track to try and emulate their sound and produce a instrumental version. I may clean it up a little as it's slightly 'muddy'.

Would be amazing if they broadcast Live from New Zealand :D - Enjoy

Aosta

16 Jul 2023

dvdrtldg wrote:
14 Jul 2023
That should be awesome!

I saw them in the early 90s, at this big old theatre in Edinburgh. I'd expected them to be great, but what I didn't expect was for them to be a massive foundations-shaking groove beast. One of the funkiest gigs I can remember, even Autobahn was tweaked for maximum dance potential
They were doing dance music way before the 90s :D

Tend the flame

rorystorm

17 Jul 2023

Arpeg wrote:
16 Jul 2023
Also, I think on the original 7" and 12" there is an edited version by Francois Kevorkian who is a really good DJ/producer and did a couple of excellent House EP's in the 90's - Francois K - Hypnodelic - Wave Rec

Yeah, I think Kerkovian remixed a couple of their tracks? I'm pretty sure there's a really solid remix of Radioactivity he did. I'm a big UR fan and they did some nice work on remixing Expo 2000 as well.

Bought my tickets tonight, really expensive but worth it! I'm sure my landlord won't mind if I skip rent for a good cause.

rorystorm

17 Jul 2023

dvdrtldg wrote:
15 Jul 2023
rorystorm wrote:
14 Jul 2023
Neon Lights! Pure bliss.
Yep that's the one, a perfect track. I also love Europe Endless from TEE
yeh, incredible track. Life is timeless? so's your best work, mate. Sounds really simple when you first hear it and then you start breaking it down

These two, Numbers, the original version of Radioactivity, and the live version of Dentaku on Maximum/Minimum - amazing, beautiful music.

Arpeg
Competition Winner

19 Jul 2023

rorystorm wrote:
17 Jul 2023
Arpeg wrote:
16 Jul 2023
Also, I think on the original 7" and 12" there is an edited version by Francois Kevorkian who is a really good DJ/producer and did a couple of excellent House EP's in the 90's - Francois K - Hypnodelic - Wave Rec

Yeah, I think Kerkovian remixed a couple of their tracks? I'm pretty sure there's a really solid remix of Radioactivity he did. I'm a big UR fan and they did some nice work on remixing Expo 2000 as well.

Bought my tickets tonight, really expensive but worth it! I'm sure my landlord won't mind if I skip rent for a good cause.
I think you're correct on more Kevorkian remixes. He is a bit of a 'background pioneer'!? Me too, I love UR and the Detroit sound, emotive, colourful, motor Techno. It transitioned/evolved naturally and then cold Techno started to emerge in the 90's, let's me say I'm not a big fan of Harthouse records which brought less soul, less colour and was more 4x4 hard hitting with cold acid and less inspiring compared to Juan Atkins, Derrick May, Mad Mike etc

Back to topic : How much were those tickets mate, go on, tell us. Put it this way, you know it is most likely to be a one off occasion and like you say it is 'worth it' Without knowing the price, I would say so too. Made up for ya as seeing Kraftwerk LIVE should be one of the 7 wonders of the World :-) Big Up

rorystorm

19 Jul 2023

$NZ200. Thats, I dunno, somewhere around €120 or so. Its about a third of my income. But I got two rows from the front, so.....

Thousand Ways

05 Aug 2023

François Kevorkian did one of the remixes of the original Tour de France single (1983), mixed the Electric Café album (1986), and the Telephone Call single versions. The 1991 single of Radioactivity included mixes by Kevorkian and William Ørbit. Ørbit's mixes reek of 1991.

I've seen Kraftwerk three times: Brixton Academy, 2004; Manchester Velodrome (3D performance, also with the British Olympic cycling team racing around the venue), 2009; Sheffield City Hall, 2017. At Sheffield I queued for three hours – longer than the gig lasted. Do not ever get stuck in a queue with Kraftwerk enthusiasts. It was just about worth it, for four front-row tickets facing Ralf. Brixton was my favourite gig, because Florian was still with them. One song from that gig – The Model – is on the live album Minimum-Maximum. Also saw Karl Bartos solo at BFI IMAX, 2005. He signed my Tour de France single and Communication album.

Arpeg
Competition Winner

21 Aug 2023

rorystorm wrote:
19 Jul 2023
$NZ200. Thats, I dunno, somewhere around €120 or so. Its about a third of my income. But I got two rows from the front, so.....
Fantastic placing near the front and 120 euro isn't great but Kraftwerk are great so it's expected I guess. I'd still pay it. Thanks :thumbs_up:

Arpeg
Competition Winner

21 Aug 2023

Thousand Ways wrote:
05 Aug 2023
François Kevorkian did one of the remixes of the original Tour de France single (1983), mixed the Electric Café album (1986), and the Telephone Call single versions. The 1991 single of Radioactivity included mixes by Kevorkian and William Ørbit. Ørbit's mixes reek of 1991.

I've seen Kraftwerk three times: Brixton Academy, 2004; Manchester Velodrome (3D performance, also with the British Olympic cycling team racing around the venue), 2009; Sheffield City Hall, 2017. At Sheffield I queued for three hours – longer than the gig lasted. Do not ever get stuck in a queue with Kraftwerk enthusiasts. It was just about worth it, for four front-row tickets facing Ralf. Brixton was my favourite gig, because Florian was still with them. One song from that gig – The Model – is on the live album Minimum-Maximum. Also saw Karl Bartos solo at BFI IMAX, 2005. He signed my Tour de France single and Communication album.
Thanks for the info on Kevorkian as I wasn't sure on the full extent of involvement with the group. I mentioned above the Brixton Academy gig in 2004. You may be in one of my photos from that :D. I've seen a number of folk mention online that they were at this particular gig! Ouch at 3 hours standing and waiting to get in, I feel ya..
Thanks for the heads up on the Live Album version of The Model which is from that gig :thumbup:

Ichooselife

21 Aug 2023

Aosta wrote:
16 Jul 2023
dvdrtldg wrote:
14 Jul 2023
That should be awesome!

They were doing dance music way before the 90s :D

god you have to be smashed out of your strawberry nut nut to listen to that lol

Thousand Ways

21 Aug 2023

Ichooselife wrote:
21 Aug 2023
I think Pascal Bussy's old book on Kraftwerk mentions that Ralf and Florian went to a Stockhausen gig in the late ’60s while off their faces on acid. That might explain a few things.

Ichooselife

21 Aug 2023

Thousand Ways wrote:
21 Aug 2023
Ichooselife wrote:
21 Aug 2023
I think Pascal Bussy's old book on Kraftwerk mentions that Ralf and Florian went to a Stockhausen gig in the late ’60s while off their faces on acid. That might explain a few things.
most definetly ( strawberry nut nut ) was a reference to the only ( and most definetly the last acid trip i ever. took i was 14 some dodgy boy gave it to me .

rorystorm

28 Nov 2023

Tonight! Two solid hours.

• Information