”Shut the fuck up and use the software. It's great.”

This forum is for anything not Reason related, if you just want to talk about other stuff. Please keep it friendly!
TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

12 Sep 2022

It may sound strange but I find this quote by RT user stillifegaijin to be one of the most inspiring messages I’ve read here at RT.
It just cuts right through all the crap to what matters. :lol:
Rather than getting caught up in all the technical bullshit or obsessing over a lack of certain features, just use what you have and get on with it. The software is great. We all have way more than we need already.

I saw that RT user Propellerhands has already started using it as a signature and I feel compelled to do the same for a while. :D For me it’s the perfect no-bullshit-reminder of what’s important when it comes to creativity.

Thanks stillifegaijin :thumbup:

bossa
Competition Winner

12 Sep 2022

I would like to underline that! And it good that this was said again in all clarity!

Loque

12 Sep 2022

Sorry, but no. I need excuses why I don't make music...
Reason12, Win10

BRIGGS

12 Sep 2022

I like the conversations. I get to find gold nuggets, to add to my secret stash. <----nothing to see here :lol:

It's fun too. : )
r11s

motuscott

12 Sep 2022

I haven't cranked up Reason since R7 but I'm here almost every day, starting fires

track folderz plz
Who’s using the royal plural now baby? 🧂

RobC

12 Sep 2022

On the day it supports 768 kHz!

motuscott

12 Sep 2022

nice
Who’s using the royal plural now baby? 🧂

PhillipOrdonez

12 Sep 2022

😂

Propellerhands

14 Sep 2022

Loque wrote:
12 Sep 2022
Sorry, but no. I need excuses why I don't make music...
I can imagine. Flatlined for several years, friends and family constantly bugged me "so how's your music going?" and everytime I had to come up with yet another reason, such as: day job, tired, no time right now, insomnia, lack of inspiration, I'm taking a break etc. If I had a family I would probably blamed it on kids or wife too. I was starting to believe that my days of creativity were over and I need a new hobby.
"Shut the fuck up and use the software. It's great." - stillifegaijin on Reason

challism

15 Sep 2022

I just registered ShutTheFuckUpAndUseTheSoftware.com
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

Biolumin3sc3nt

15 Sep 2022

challism wrote:
15 Sep 2022
I just registered ShutTheFuckUpAndUseTheSoftware.com
This is most righteous!

stillifegaijin

15 Sep 2022

TritoneAddiction wrote:
12 Sep 2022

It may sound strange but I find this quote by RT user stillifegaijin to be one of the most inspiring messages I’ve read here at RT.
It just cuts right through all the crap to what matters. :lol:
Rather than getting caught up in all the technical bullshit or obsessing over a lack of certain features, just use what you have and get on with it. The software is great. We all have way more than we need already.

I saw that RT user Propellerhands has already started using it as a signature and I feel compelled to do the same for a while. :D For me it’s the perfect no-bullshit-reminder of what’s important when it comes to creativity.

Thanks stillifegaijin :thumbup:
TritoneAddiction - You are very welcome. I'm very happy that something good (and inspiring?) came from my bourbon fueled outburst. I was concerned it would just start a fight or lead to hostility. I'm very pleased that it has had the opposite effect. Watching everyone laugh about it and have a good time on here has been great.

Your sentiments are mine exactly. I'm old enough to remember how difficult it used to be to make the types of music and recordings we seem to take for granted now. I can do things with Reason in a few minutes that would have taken hours, or an entire day, in the 90s. The power astounds me....And yes, we all have way more than we need. There are still devices I have never even bothered to use in Reason and I'm been using it since version 2. I'm still regularly learning new stuff. It really is great.

Speaking of great...Your username is great. I have been admiring it for awhile now.

integerpoet

15 Sep 2022

RobC wrote:
12 Sep 2022
Laugh if you will, but this glaring deficiency is crippling sales of my premium Reason-tuned analog audio cables.

MuttReason

15 Sep 2022

stillifegaijin wrote:
15 Sep 2022

TritoneAddiction - You are very welcome. I'm very happy that something good (and inspiring?) came from my bourbon fueled outburst. I was concerned it would just start a fight or lead to hostility. I'm very pleased that it has had the opposite effect. Watching everyone laugh about it and have a good time on here has been great.

Your sentiments are mine exactly. I'm old enough to remember how difficult it used to be to make the types of music and recordings we seem to take for granted now. I can do things with Reason in a few minutes that would have taken hours, or an entire day, in the 90s. The power astounds me....And yes, we all have way more than we need. There are still devices I have never even bothered to use in Reason and I'm been using it since version 2. I'm still regularly learning new stuff. It really is great.

Speaking of great...Your username is great. I have been admiring it for awhile now.
I think you are now officially a RT Legend :puf_smile:

Only outstanding question from me is… what bourbon was it?

Love me a good bourbon, usually rely on the posher end of the Jack Daniels range (special reserve something) as it’s easy to get hold of or a Kentucky bourbon like a Maker’s Mark if I can find it, but always interested in new names to try.

And yeah, Reason is great. So is pretty much everything in the hardware and software music production world, this stuff is fantasy level compared with what we used 30 years ago (or, um, 45+ years ago in my case…)

stillifegaijin

15 Sep 2022

MuttReason wrote:
15 Sep 2022

I think you are now officially a RT Legend :puf_smile:

Only outstanding question from me is… what bourbon was it?

Love me a good bourbon, usually rely on the posher end of the Jack Daniels range (special reserve something) as it’s easy to get hold of or a Kentucky bourbon like a Maker’s Mark if I can find it, but always interested in new names to try.

And yeah, Reason is great. So is pretty much everything in the hardware and software music production world, this stuff is fantasy level compared with what we used 30 years ago (or, um, 45+ years ago in my case…)
It was Makers Mark. That's my go-to.

Gentleman's Jack is also good if that is the Jack Daniels you were referring to. Unfortunately, I associate the flavor of Gentleman's Jack with a particularly depressing time in my life so I mostly avoid so as to not stir up the drunken sadness!

boosto23

15 Sep 2022

I will say, I traveled down the rabbit hole of a recent plugin acquisition syndrome/falling into marketing hype, buying a lot of stuff to use (on sale, but it adds up). Watching videos on aliasing, EQ cramping, "non-linearities", etc. made me think that what we had in Reason was not "good enough." Yes, the Reason EQ's cramp. Yes, the reason saturators probably alias. Yes, the older stock devices have their quirks too. However, I've come to realize that I love using Reason devices because I KNOW how to use these devices and make them sound the way I want.

I don't need the Blackbox HG to make something sound loud. The audiomatic or scream can do the trick fine. I really shouldn't care that the plugin was modeled after a mastering unit costing thousands of dollars. I remember putting money into the 9000k plugin because I saw that the curves were different from the Reason SSL, which I thought would be more "authentic." In the end, I haven't touched the plugin for an embarrassingly long time. I don't care if Michael Brauer loves the plugin and uses it everywhere. I've gotten so used to the Reason SSL and its curves that I work fast with it. Does the Reason Bus compressor sound different from the other models? Yes. Is it less authentic? Who cares? I think it smacks and pumps in a unique way that I've gotten used to such that I will still probably use it over other expensive UA plugins I own.

In the end: Does it sound good? If yes, nobody should care. There's no reason to think that our tools in Reason are inadequate. I can spend hours just playing with a Subtractor and the 1/2 rack effects, because it sounds great and is fun.

RobC

16 Sep 2022

integerpoet wrote:
15 Sep 2022
RobC wrote:
12 Sep 2022
Laugh if you will, but this glaring deficiency is crippling sales of my premium Reason-tuned analog audio cables.
You're the 4th person teasing now. It gets boring.

But this is a different thread, so I'll add here, too:
In my experience, the higher the sample rate, the faster the sequencer responds. Take automation for example.
It's also useful for anti-aliasing.
If you sample a synthesizer, maybe just a wave cycle, then the quality decreases a ton after playing it back just 1-2 octaves lower.
You can extract ultra frequencies (by bringing them some octaves lower and a couple of extra steps) that you've unknowingly created during synthesis, dynamics processing, etc. Sometimes, some cool things happen.
And there are other uses, too.

Why do people still assume, it would be for esoteric reasons?

crimsonwarlock

16 Sep 2022

RobC wrote:
16 Sep 2022
I think you forgot to read the topic title :puf_bigsmile:
-------
Analog tape ⇒ ESQ1 sequencer board ⇒ Atari/Steinberg Pro24 ⇒ Atari/Cubase ⇒ Cakewalk Sonar ⇒ Orion Pro/Platinum ⇒ Reaper ⇒ Reason DAW.

RobC

16 Sep 2022

crimsonwarlock wrote:
16 Sep 2022
RobC wrote:
16 Sep 2022
I didn't! In this thread, I originally jokingly mentioned a feature I really would like <-> although it's not like the lack of it hinders us from music making.

But I'm stressed this week, so can't really focus much, or get all funny and stuff. Sorry!

challism

16 Sep 2022

stillifegaijin wrote:
15 Sep 2022
I'm very happy that something good (and inspiring?) came from my bourbon fueled outburst.
If not the best bourbon-fueled outburst in RT history, it is among them. And definitely better than most. Most bourbon-fueled outbursts around here result in warnings and bannings.
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

selig
RE Developer

16 Sep 2022

boosto23 wrote:
15 Sep 2022
I will say, I traveled down the rabbit hole of a recent plugin acquisition syndrome/falling into marketing hype, buying a lot of stuff to use (on sale, but it adds up). Watching videos on aliasing, EQ cramping, "non-linearities", etc. made me think that what we had in Reason was not "good enough." Yes, the Reason EQ's cramp. Yes, the reason saturators probably alias. Yes, the older stock devices have their quirks too. However, I've come to realize that I love using Reason devices because I KNOW how to use these devices and make them sound the way I want.

I don't need the Blackbox HG to make something sound loud. The audiomatic or scream can do the trick fine. I really shouldn't care that the plugin was modeled after a mastering unit costing thousands of dollars. I remember putting money into the 9000k plugin because I saw that the curves were different from the Reason SSL, which I thought would be more "authentic." In the end, I haven't touched the plugin for an embarrassingly long time. I don't care if Michael Brauer loves the plugin and uses it everywhere. I've gotten so used to the Reason SSL and its curves that I work fast with it. Does the Reason Bus compressor sound different from the other models? Yes. Is it less authentic? Who cares? I think it smacks and pumps in a unique way that I've gotten used to such that I will still probably use it over other expensive UA plugins I own.

In the end: Does it sound good? If yes, nobody should care. There's no reason to think that our tools in Reason are inadequate. I can spend hours just playing with a Subtractor and the 1/2 rack effects, because it sounds great and is fun.
Totally agree. Have not found one real world (my world, at least) example of a time EQ cramping, aliasing, and non-linearities (Reason tends to get more critique for NOT including these) negatively impacting my work. EQ cramping only happens on parametric bands, so if you need 20 kHz boosted use a shelf EQ - but TBH EQ cramping doesn’t sound bad, it just doesn’t look like it’s analog counterpoint (it’s still sonically fine). Aliasing: I have to devise specific tests to even measure (let alone hear) examples of aliasing in FX, and synths that alias (like Subtractor) have a ‘sound’ I’ve come to embrace (which you only hear in specific patches).
As for the SSL, I don’t care if it’s an exact copy because I found early on that it behaves like all the real SSL console in that all my same SSL ‘tricks’ work just fine in Reason!
:)
Selig Audio, LLC

selig
RE Developer

16 Sep 2022

RobC wrote:
16 Sep 2022
crimsonwarlock wrote:
16 Sep 2022

I didn't! In this thread, I originally jokingly mentioned a feature I really would like <-> although it's not like the lack of it hinders us from music making.

But I'm stressed this week, so can't really focus much, or get all funny and stuff. Sorry!
Once you feel better you may enjoy reading up on the negative aspects of higher sample rates if you’re wondering why they are not implemented…
Selig Audio, LLC

chimp_spanner

16 Sep 2022

As the owner of multiple DAWs I can say with confidence none of them are perfect. None. If I'm in Live I miss audio pitch editing. If I'm in Reason I miss folder/group tracks. If I'm in Cubase I miss Reason's automation. If I'm in FL I miss *being in a normal-ass DAW that works how DAWs should* ;).

I write/create/produce most freely in Reason. Live is a close second.

I work with hardware best in Live.

I mix/edit best in Cubase.

I make short ideas best in Maschine.

You could spend a liftime bouncing around each of these wanting, waiting for more features. But ultimately they're all capable of *something*. Of course, I will always continue to ask (politely) for things I feel would make Reason better. But hey, if this is all we ever got it'd still be cool.

ravasb

16 Sep 2022

“Each of you is perfect the way you are ... and you can use a little improvement.”

― Shunryu Suzuki

• Information