Fruits and veggies........

This forum is for anything not Reason related, if you just want to talk about other stuff. Please keep it friendly!
reggie1979

18 Jun 2019

I struggle with this. Now, I've lost nearly 20 lbs in the last few months because I'm not eating what I did. But I need to eat better at my age.

Had a cantaloupe a couple of days ago. Delicious. I like apples but it's hard to find good ones. Can't do bananas, give me terrific gas. Love pears, but again, they are not easy to find that are good. Grapefruits are good here, yeah, grapefruit. On my shopping list. Strawberries and blueberries and raspberries are just WAY overpriced here.

I love green beans, but my steamer sucks balls. I hate the pickled ones you get in a can (bleck!) and I like peas, but again, you have to buy them frozen, which sucks, and then "doctor" them with butter or something not so healthy to get them right :roll:

Tomatoes, avocados, cucumbers, zucchini, onions, chives are all pretty good here. But lettuce is kinda crappy. So, salads are hit/miss (as are mushrooms unless they are cooked) And even when I make a terrific salad, I have my red-neck roots.........ranch dressing :lol:

It's tough for me. I envision food a certain way, but have a very difficult time having those things work in unison.

Thoughts? Suggestions? Interests? Etc.

Boombastix
Competition Winner

18 Jun 2019

Roots in the oven, easy/fast. Add sea salt and olive oil on the plate. Bam! Delish and healthy.
10% off at Waves with link: https://www.waves.com/r/6gh2b0
Disclaimer - I get 10% as well.

reggie1979

18 Jun 2019

?

plaamook

20 Jun 2019

He means root vegetables.
Perpetual Reason 12 Beta Tester :reason:

You can check out my music here.
https://m.soundcloud.com/ericholmofficial
Or here.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC73uZZ ... 8jqUubzsQg

plaamook

20 Jun 2019

You like pasta?

Or here.

plaamook

20 Jun 2019

Everytnhig you've listedthere can be made into X-with pasta or a curry.

Or here.

reggie1979

20 Jun 2019

What the hell happened to my post?????????

Anyways, good idea, I don't know what root veggies are (looking them up now)

reggie1979

20 Jun 2019

Ok, got it.

-Onions: Love them (in moderation) and that I accept.
-Sweet Potatoes: Disgusting, no.
-Turnips: No
-Ginger: NO!
-Beets: NO!!!!!!!
-Garlic: I'm a vampire, but in some instances, it's not bad, just not too much.
-Radishes: Yes: I like them. I've put them on my list.
-Fennel: ????????
-Carrots: Wonderful! I don't use them enough.
-Celeriac: Not familiar......in the states?
-Turmeric: ?????? but I don't like ginger.
-Potatoes: Fine, but considered more as starch to me.
-Rutabaga: This must be an over-seas thing. We might have it here.

Anyways, interesting, thanks for the info!

diminished
Competition Winner

21 Jun 2019

Do you know how to cook? If I said, make some Daal, would you know how to approach it?
:reason: Most recent track: resentment (synthwave) || Others: on my YouTube channel •ᴗ•

MrFigg
Competition Winner

21 Jun 2019

diminished wrote:
21 Jun 2019
Do you know how to cook? If I said, make some Daal, would you know how to approach it?
Chana? Tarka ? Masoor? Mung? You name it I’ll fix it
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

diminished
Competition Winner

21 Jun 2019

MrFigg wrote:
21 Jun 2019
diminished wrote:
21 Jun 2019
Chana? Tarka ? Masoor? Mung? You name it I’ll fix it
In this case I'd go with freestyle, with whatever veggies reggie likes (tehehe, veggie-reggie..). Indian spiced thick lentil veggie soup where one could "hide" different cheap/seasonal veggies in. Add grated cucumber with lemon, salt and a sprinkle of olive oil on top, next to a spoon of joghurt or crème fraîche. Mmmh, I could eat that for days. So tasty, healthy, cheap and fulfilling.
:reason: Most recent track: resentment (synthwave) || Others: on my YouTube channel •ᴗ•

diminished
Competition Winner

21 Jun 2019

Celery, bell pepper, leek, a tomato or two, zucchini, a few potatos, carrots - or all of those. Just throw it in there.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

21 Jun 2019

Melt three or four anchovies (the salty ones...not the Swedish ones. Zeta Sardeller if you're Swedish.) into a load of olive oil. Throw in some garlic, salt and chilli flakes. More olive oil and a whole load of grated courgette. Let it cook until it's tender than fling it on pasta and top it with fresh parmesan.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

diminished
Competition Winner

21 Jun 2019

MrFigg wrote:
21 Jun 2019
Melt three or four anchovies (the salty ones...not the Swedish ones. Zeta Sardeller if you're Swedish.) into a load of olive oil. Throw in some garlic, salt and chilli flakes. More olive oil and a whole load of grated courgette. Let it cook until it's tender than fling it on pasta and top it with fresh parmesan.
Yum, that screams for parsley

MrFigg
Competition Winner

21 Jun 2019

diminished wrote:
21 Jun 2019
MrFigg wrote:
21 Jun 2019
Yum, that screams for parsley
Do it!!! :)
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

Desmondblack
Competition Winner

21 Jun 2019

I typically will steam veggies, like paprika, brocolli, courgettes and carrots, and then bake / fry some onions, ginger, garlic and chicken in a wok until done, then add the veggies and some chili/bean paste or soy sauce. Easy, healthy, f-ing delicious.

For fruits, try pears and nectarines in some greek yogurt.
Cheers,
DZM
Can't produce in the bedroom - people are sleeping there!

diminished
Competition Winner

21 Jun 2019

Something nice for the summer: watermelon salad with feta, mint, onion, cucumber, black pepper, salt and olive oil.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

21 Jun 2019

Ruccola, goats cheese, walnuts and honey.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

diminished
Competition Winner

21 Jun 2019

@reggie: it's important to remember that fat from milk products and vegetable oils is not the enemy, it's sugar!

@Figg: throw some (asian) pears in there! :)

MrFigg
Competition Winner

21 Jun 2019

diminished wrote:
21 Jun 2019

Hell yeah!!!
You tried dipping strawberries in roughly ground black pepper?
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

diminished
Competition Winner

21 Jun 2019

MrFigg wrote:
21 Jun 2019
diminished wrote:
21 Jun 2019

Hell yeah!!!
You tried dipping strawberries in roughly ground black pepper?
Not yet! I heard that it's fun but I always forget. Dammit, I went strawberry picking with the family just a little more than a week ago.

diminished
Competition Winner

21 Jun 2019

Since reggie dislikes beets, I want to make a proposal or three:

* raw beetroot, thick slices, on sliced bread together with a strong cheese like mature cheddar.
* in a salad with lots and lots of herbs, especially dill and parsley and onions, next to buttered treble potatoes and quark/cottage cheese.
* in a polish stew called Bigos with cale, carrots, meat and sausage, like so but with beets: http://www.polskafoods.com/polish-recip ... gos-recipe

Creativemind

21 Jun 2019

reggie1979 wrote:
20 Jun 2019
Ok, got it.

You don't like sweet potatoes or ginger, why? lol! mash it in with some normal potatoes see if that helps.

Fennel is a herb. I buy it sometimes, it's used in certain curries for one and it has a liquorice / aniseed type smell to it.

Turmeric is a spice used in curries too. It's that and the oil or ghee used in a curry that leaves that illuminous liquid or stain on the plate or container afterwards. It's been on the internet in recent months hailed as the new superfood. Apparently it's good for 14 different things:- apparently it improves cholesterol, improves your mood, it's full of anti-oxidants (free radicals) and apparently it helps with fighting cancer, helps arthritis and joint pain and a study showed that it helped improve concentration and focus whilst studying to name just a few.
:reason:

Reason Studio's 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.82 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

diminished
Competition Winner

21 Jun 2019

Creativemind wrote:
21 Jun 2019
reggie1979 wrote:
20 Jun 2019
Ok, got it.

You don't like sweet potatoes or ginger, why? lol! mash it in with some normal potatoes see if that helps.

Fennel is a herb. I buy it sometimes, it's used in certain curries for one and it has a liquorice type taste and smell to it.

Turmeric is a spice used in curries too. It's that and the oil or ghee used in a curry that leaves that illuminous liquid or stain to the plate or container afterwards. It's been on the internet in recent months hailed as the new superfood. Apparently it's good for 14 different things:- apparently it improves cholesterol, improves your mood, it's full of anti-oxidants (free radicals) and apparently it helps with fighting cancer, helps arthritis and joint pain and a study showed that it helped improve concentration and focus whilst studying to name just a few.
Here's fennel, the vegetable (nice on pizza or in tomato sauces for example):
https://cdn1.medicalnewstoday.com/conte ... fennel.jpg
The liquorice kinda taste you mentioned is very very mild in that one.
Fennel seeds however, careful with those. You'll be able to taste one seed in 0.5 litres of soup if you blend it. I regularly use those as a spice for a creamy pea&potato soup along with majoram and rosemary, but never more than around 20 seeds for a huge pot of soup.

Creativemind

21 Jun 2019

diminished wrote:
21 Jun 2019
Creativemind wrote:
21 Jun 2019

Fennel is a herb. I buy it sometimes, it's used in certain curries for one and it has a liquorice type taste and smell to it.

Turmeric is a spice used in curries too. It's that and the oil or ghee used in a curry that leaves that illuminous liquid or stain to the plate or container afterwards. It's been on the internet in recent months hailed as the new superfood. Apparently it's good for 14 different things:- apparently it improves cholesterol, improves your mood, it's full of anti-oxidants (free radicals) and apparently it helps with fighting cancer, helps arthritis and joint pain and a study showed that it helped improve concentration and focus whilst studying to name just a few.
Here's fennel, the vegetable (nice on pizza or in tomato sauces for example):
https://cdn1.medicalnewstoday.com/conte ... fennel.jpg
The liquorice kinda taste you mentioned is very very mild in that one.
Fennel seeds however, careful with those. You'll be able to taste one seed in 0.5 litres of soup if you blend it. I regularly use those as a spice for a creamy pea&potato soup along with majoram and rosemary, but never more than around 20 seeds for a huge pot of soup.
Fennel is part of the carrot family isn't it but the internet did say it was a herb. Confusing. Is it classed a herb if it's dried and chopped and put in a jar? lol!

Tell you what's nice as well, used in Thai dishes a lot - galangal.
:reason:

Reason Studio's 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.82 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

• Information